Near the Southern side of the town is an old graveyard known as St Anne's. In it are the ruins of St Anne's, the old parish church which in the 16th century passed to the reformed church. On the outside of the Church was a tablet bearing the inscription "Here Lyeth the Abbot of Kilmaclenon, 1500".
St Mary's Church was built in 1818. The facade and campanile were added in the early 1900's. Extensive renovations were carried out in the church itself in the second half of the 20th century to facilitate the directives of the Second Vatican Council of the Liturgy.
By 1960 the population of the parish had grown to the point where St Mary's Church could no longer accommodate the population so it was decided to build a new church on a site south of the River Blackwater. The foundation stone was blessed and laid on 21st September 1960, and the new church was blessed on the 11th December 1968.
Renovations and needed repairs were carried out in subsequent years and the refurbished church was dedicated on the 8th September 1991.
Photographs by Pat Heavin